The video game industry is constantly changing, and game developers need to keep up with the latest trends and constantly adapt. For game developers to create games that produce hours of entertainment, it’s wise to focus on developing for several platforms. This offers players the opportunity to start playing a video game on their PC or console and then keep playing it on their phone.
Cross-platform development has grown in recent years. Mobile devices are the most dynamic and fastest-growing segment of the gaming market, so the expectation that more mainstream games will be available on mobile, as well as console as PC, is growing with its popularity.
What is Cross-Platform Game Development?
Cross-platform game development means creating a video game that players can play on multiple gaming platforms at once. Game developers use various methods and tools to build the games from common code and art assets for this to happen.
When it comes to cross-platform games, developers design them through full-cycle development. The game is then built for multiple platforms at once and available on multiple platforms at release. On the other hand, if a game is already created on one platform and is intended to be available on other gaming platforms, developers can take the game and port it.
Though it usually takes longer to make a cross-platform game, this is still much quicker than creating one game version and remaking it later through porting.
Most interesting gaming platforms according to game developers in 2022
Why Cross-Platform Development?
It is true that cross-platform development is complex, multifaceted, and comes with many challenges. But it has its benefits. Unlike normal game development, to develop a cross-platform game project, game developers use different software to help adapt one code for several systems. This means that game developers do not need to maintain separate and specific code bases for each platform. Keeping the same codebase for all developers can make it more stable and easier to maintain.
Also, if you decide to develop a cross-platform game, you have the opportunity to reach more players immediately. The users need to buy your game for one system and have instant access to the game from other platforms.
When it comes to upgrades, cross-platform development makes life easier for developers. Having only one code base, they can change this base for many platform games and then implement it simultaneously on all available platforms. The team no longer has to make changes on two or more codebases and thus waste time and money.
Benefits of Cross-Platform Game Development
By developing a video game that can be played on Nintendo Switch, Xbox, PC, and/or mobile phone, you will know that you will reach more potential players and have maximum impact on the target audience. In addition, a cross-platform game makes sure the game stays consistent between different markets and helps you manage your player base.
Some other benefits include:
- Faster long-term development. Creating a game directly on multiple platforms is faster overall than creating a game and then porting it to other platforms post-launch.
- Accessible. Being suitable for more gaming platforms, a game is more likely to gain popularity faster and attract new users. Each player has their favourite platform. Some people like to play games on the console; others like to play games on Android while travelling or relaxing on the couch. So, a cross-platform game will fulfil the wishes of every player through its wider accessibility.
- A better experience. Cross-platform features allow game developers to bring communities together and let everyone play regardless of geographic location or platform. This becomes a strong point for players that want to play with their friends online.
- Saving costs. Developing a cross-platform game allows you to cover all launch costs in a single development cycle. There will also be no need for additional costs to reach new audiences and markets.
- Reduced maintenance costs. If the game development team has to push out a patch or update, this will happen faster and at a lower cost because the game has a single base code, not several despite the number of platforms. So, the developers only need to make changes to a single code base. This means time and money saved, in the efficiency of updating a single code rather than updating and bug-checking multiple codes.
- More effective marketing. A cross-platform game means no competition between platforms for sales. Therefore, video game advertising efforts are more centralized and focused on a single audience.
What’s in Store for Cross-Platform Gaming
Cross-platform games are increasingly in demand by players, so bringing your game to market simultaneously on multiple platforms is recommended. For example, games like Halo 3 are top-rated for video game players. Halo 3 on the Xbox 360 was originally an exclusive console. Still, since the advent of Microsoft’s gain on the PC player base and the development of the Master Chief Collection on PC, Halo 3 has been brought to multiple platforms.
Among the best cross-platform games that have appeared over time and have been a success are:
- Halo Infinite: Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S, Xbox Cloud Gaming
- Destiny 2: PS5, PS4, Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S, PC, Stadia
- Fortnite: PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X, Switch, PC
- Overwatch: PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC
- Among Us: Android, iOS, PC, Switch
- Apex Legends: Xbox One, PS4, PC, Switch
- Chivalry 2: PC, PS4, PS5 Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare: Xbox One, PS4, PC
- Call of Duty: Warzone: PS4, Xbox One, PC, Xbox Series X, PS5
- Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War: PS5, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Xbox Series X/S
- Call of Duty: Vanguard: PS5, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Xbox Series X/S
- Minecraft: Xbox One, PS4, Switch, PC
- Rocket League: Xbox One, Switch, PC, PS4
- Gears of War 4: PC, Xbox One
How can Starloop help to take your game to any platform?
In 2022, cross-platform games will remain a trend in players’ choices precisely because they can play the video game on any device they want.
Aside from cross-development, Starloop Studios provides an extensive range of game development solutions to take your game into any platform. Having expertise in cross-platform game development, we maintain the complete code structure efficiently and cover all the significant aspects like cross-platform support to reduce the development cost and time.
Porting video games to any platform allows users a lot of flexibility and convenience while offering cost savings for everyone involved. We handle all the issues of cross-platform porting and designing systems that look and work the same across all environments.
Contact us at email@example.com, tell us your dream idea, and we will take your game projects to any platform.